The high waisted pencil skirt is one of the unmissable basics in a woman’s wardrobe. I bet you have a form-fitted skirt in your closet, I bet it’s black, and I bet that you pair it with a white shirt 80% of the time. But what about being more playful, and start to wear it everyday?
The “Bon Ton” Style: Pencil Skirt Tucked Top
Styling a pencil skirt with the top tucked in is one of the best alternatives you have if you want a simple and stylish outfit that doesn’t look too obvious. Plus, it’s a great choice if you want to enhance your body shape and look taller.
- When you tuck a top right at the waist level, it makes your legs look longer, so your figure is re-proportioned to look longer and slimmer.
- When the waistband is thick, it will also keep your stomach tucked in together with the top, taking off inches from your waistline.
- If you are petite, or have a short bust, consider keeping a similar shade for the top and bottom of your outfit, so your figure looks balanced. The leather high waisted pencil skirt in the outfits above is a good example!
- On the other hand, if you feel your bust is too long, tuck in a top in a contrasting hue, and it will look a bit shorter.
But what if you can’t decide on what kind of top you should tuck in?
In that case, just use this simple rule: the thinner, the better!
So while you can wear just like every kind of top on your pencil skirt, make sure the fabric isn’t too thick so you can stay comfy and the top will be seamlessly tucked in.
The Easy Style: High Waisted Pencil Skirt Loose or Untucked Top
There are many ways of wearing a pencil skirt with an untucked top, and every time you’ll get a different mood…
- If you love structured and flattering tops, you can opt for a bold look wearing a peplum top. Pairing it with a high waisted pencil skirt will keep an accent on the waistline, but at the same time, it minimizes big hips.
- A simple t-shirt on a tight pencil skirt is one of the trending model off-duty outfits. And in fact, it makes the classic pencil skirt high heels outfit look more relaxed and easy.
- Are you looking for a cushy and cozy outfit? Then just pair any pencil skirt with a big cozy sweater and you’re done. For how comfy this look seems, it’s also very flattering and gives you a fresh twist. My only suggestion here is just to wear it with heels, to avoid looking like a penguin because of the cloth volume on the top of your body!
- A preppy outfit is another great mood to get with a high waisted pencil skirt and untucked top. Just make sure you wear a soft cardigan and make it interesting adding a shirt or some funny accessories, like bold necklaces, bracelets or just a cool bag.
The Sprint Style: High Waisted Pencil Skirt Flats
Flats are everything in spring and summer, that’s why they look great with colored outfits and bare legs.
Here’s some stylish ways to wear flats and athletic shoes under a pencil skirt:
- Preppy and prints: a printed high waisted pencil skirt with a simple top and a pair of sandals or ballerinas, immediately make a mood without the need of adding accessories, makeup and all the rest. That’s the perfect style for those days when you wanna look put together without much effort. Just one side-note. When you opt for flats pay attention to the hemline of your skirt and keep it a bit above the knee, or you’ll look too old fashioned.
- Sneakers and running shoes? Yes! Because if you know how to style them, they look good even under a gown. Here’s the secret: try to make them coherent with the rest of the outfit, at least for one thing. It might be a color accent or a sporty twist you add with other accessories, whatever that makes understand you didn’t just grab the first things in your wardrobe!