Cool kicks are totally in right now but the big question is whether or not they are appropriate for wearing to work. The short answer is maybe. Of course, you’re the best one to gauge what you can wear at your workplace because let’s face it sneakers won’t suit every office but if worn well they can definitely look office appropriate. Here’s how:
1. Only wear new or clean sneakers. If you’re wearing sneakers to work then they better look spotless. Dirty, scuffed kicks simply won’t cut it in the office.
2. Pick a cool pair. Not all sneakers are created equal so be sure to chose a pair that will work
3. Dress them up with black pants, skirts and dresses. Black always looks chic and has a way of making most outfits look instantly stylish. So pair your sneakers with a stylish pair of tailored black pants or a long-line skirt or dress. Resist the urge to wear tight jeans or denim as this always shouts weekend.
4. Wear your best bag. Accessories do become important when wearing sneakers to work. You want your entire outfit to look polished and a structured handbag will help you achieve this. Save your oversized floppy bags for the weekend.
5. Have fun with it and show your personality. Sneakers may be traditionally seen as weekend wear but if you want to wear them to work you almost need to make a little more effort with your outfit. The juxtaposition between a tailored look and a pair of sneakers will really highlight the fact that the sneakers are there to make a bold statement.
6. Try white, black, grey, navy, tan – or metallic. Classic black or white sneakers are the obvious choice but don’t rule out grey, navy, tan or even metallic. The main rule of thumb is to avoid bright colors like pinks, red and bright blues and greens as these will always look more at home in the gym than in the office.
Photo source: Google images